Tuesday, February 7, 2012

The Faint Smell Of Burning

I'm playing with fire
and not in the way
I like to, late in the night at parties;
hot wax dripping
a faint smell of burning
and thin wisp of silver smoke.

This is the other kind of fire
that'll singe the eyelashes
clean off your face
without any trace
of flame.

I know you're using me.

I'm not sure what for,
just yet,
but I'm sure I'll find out.

You've got your uses
too

and I'm trying to think of you
as something more politically correct
than a "palate cleanser"

cool
and neutral
bookended by dishes
deliberately ordered.

Worked well, all that time ago.

And you've always got to go and bring it up,
don't you?

Hot cold clammy and sweating
confusion
late night disappearing act

a thin wisp of silver smoke
late at night

something's still burning

and if I squint I can just make out a
thin wisp of silver smoke

and the faint smell of
burning.


No comments:

Post a Comment