Sunday, April 22, 2012

My Kind Of Magic

It seems a kind of magic
though there's a trick to it, I'm sure
and when I discover it
I'll see right through it
secret no more.

A code to decipher
a language to translate
a strange game I eagerly anticipate
I won't play by the rules
I probably should, but it feels too late
I've forfeited before I've begun
a round that can't be won.

Multiple sixes
you're several steps ahead
I'm stuck with twos and threes
instead.

Obstacles? Of course.
But the climb, the fall
the bruised hips and knees and lips
are the pleasures that aren't denied
by common sense.

And in a puff of smoke
it'll all be gone
illusion
just a trick
of the light
slight of hand
clever distraction.

The crowd gasps.
'Ooohs' and 'Aahhs'.

Step by step
I'll progress
accompanied only by the stars.


No comments:

Post a Comment