Sunday, April 22, 2012

The Old Tree

They've cut down the tree
that used to be out the front of the house.

I know, because I've been on google maps
looking at street view
anticipating arriving
descending down the hill on the cobblestoned footpath
past the matching mirror imaged homes that line the street.

It used to blow in the wind
that tree
on stormy nights
unsteady swaying
alive
and almost ominously human
peeking in the top floor windows
whispering little known secrets.

I can smell and taste
my childhood's stolen summers
made grey by London's blanket of winter cloud

I can feel someone else's skin
suffocatingly wrapping around me
stretching uncomfortably
itching

I've shed it since
but looking square on to this street view
perspective distorted
breath contorted
I feel her still.

No doubt I'll see her reflection
in the top floor window
lacking 10 years of frown lines
naively not seeing,
feeling
too much.

I'll probably even see that old tree,
even though they cut it down.

These things have a way of staying with us.


No comments:

Post a Comment