Saturday, June 30, 2012

Friday, Me Again

So she calls me up at 9:35
and I'm already ready for bed

(I know, at this hour
on a friday
but still
I'm jetlagged
exhausted
and halfway through a potent hot toddy
with star anise floating peacefully alongside
slices of lemon)

and she's one of those friends
those friends that you'll leave the house with no warning for
at 9:38 when you hang up the phone
no make up
swap slippers for
slip ons
and cycle so you get there quicker. 

Everyone's out tonight.
Even the moon
full and hanging low
eavesdropping.

I'm waylaid
once
twice
on my way home
familiar faces .

Everyone's out tonight
a drunk falls on my bike
and I hit the third pub for the night
reunited with the barman
it's been too long
and i get a whiff of something,
parma? fries?
I think it's home, cutting through the cold reunion
and I relax into being
just me again.

No comments:

Post a Comment