Monday, December 20, 2010

Happy Birthday To Me

I open the old photo albums
expecting to see
the grotesque mirages
of myself
that I have become accustomed to
imagining

staring out at me
from every frame

but the girl
blowing out last century's
birthday candles
is today
not burdened
by those habitually fabricated
kilos,
imperfections,
monsters

these are not images
made blurry
by adolescent self hating insecurity

but crisp, clear
outlines of a girl

a pretty, pouting, posing girl

with poor posture
and badly fitting clothes

waiting for someone to tell her
she was thin enough
she was good enough

when she should have been able
to look in the mirror and see it
for herself.













can you count the candles on the cake? I can't. I think I'm 15 or 16 here. photographer unknown.

2 comments:

  1. so right.

    i really like your homecoming poems.

    there is so much here that hits the spot - you know, that spot.

    thank you xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you :) There are always so many mixed feelings being back, and it's so hard to articulate. I try, in the hope that someone understands- good to know that you do xx

    ReplyDelete