Wednesday, December 8, 2010

A Lie Is A Weed, A Lie Is A Mirror

Can you get high
on a lie?

I don't know

but this web that I'm spinning's
beginning
to spiral
out of control.

It's not that I'm hallucinating
it's just that these untruths
are making me
paranoid

I'm afraid to answer my phone
I have to say I'm not home
when I've been there for hours

I'm developing a predilection
for the rush
of deception

And you know what's worrying me?
That I'm losing my facility
for honesty

that eventually
I'll open my mouth
and the words that'll come out
won't be blunt, hurtful or rude
but they also won't be true

'sometimes, even the lies we tell define us'


and it seems there's a fine line
between the things we say
and the things we mean to say
and I'm not sure it matters anyway

because once they've been spoken
the words aren't ours,
they're pieces of us that have been
broken off
shards of ourselves
that embed
deep
where they shatter.

The things we say
and do
(even if they are lies)
are like mirrors,

reflecting parts of us
that are true.

There's no conclusive evidence
to prove it's addictive
but I'll tell you this:

it's leaving me breathless
heart beating fast
hoping to be
caught out at last

to face facts

and finally
relax.

No comments:

Post a Comment