Sunday, January 22, 2012

A Little Bar. Lygon St, Brunswick East

I'm drinking a brandy and dry
in the window
of a little bar on Lygon St
where everything seems to be
made out of wood.

I feel sort of
caught
in the middle

neither here nor there

pretending to read a magazine
while the barman eyes me off
suspiciously.

Vague and slow
these 60 hours have made me feel
as many years old
and have clearly affected my drinking habits.

The breeze feels better
than anything that has ever
pressed up against my face before.
Heavenly.

I've forgotten that it's Sunday
slow and vague and sleepy
(now I'm repeating myself)
Fuck,
I've forgotten that I don't believe
in Heaven.

Now that I think of it
a bar in Brunswick East
wouldn't be a bad place
to spend eternity
though something about it
smacks of purgatory

with the number 8 tram shuddering past
in each direction
a destination
that doesn't really appeal.

Neither here nor there

just somewhere in the middle
somewhere highly flammable
with feet that feel like
they're already on fire.

I'm talking to myself
as the ice melts

then the phone vibrates

and we cut to the alternate ending,
where I'm caught between the
shy and handsome greying barman
and an inattentive lover

neither here nor there

a special kind of purgatory
in a bar in Brunswick East.

But
this isn't the directors cut, people.
It's just Russ
and the he's on his way back
to freshly polished floors
with ingredients for Tacos

and right now,
that kinda sounds
like heaven to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment