Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Shoe String Fries, And Other Small Mercies

So I'm sitting
slouched
in a corner
glaring at the world over the top of my
whiskey,

waiting

(watch out guys,
I have a steak knife)

I start tapping away
and realise
that's
how a lot of things start.

Not with steak knives

but with a drink in my hand
and a
bad
attitude

(my teachers always told me,
they were right,
you know,
I guess
some things never change)

I'll order another
(nowhere to be
nothing to do
that can't wait 'til
tomorrow,

next week,

after everything's
over)

I'll sit here
poking a piece of flesh
whiskey breath

trying not to glare
those frown lines
are deep enough

eyes
flicking between
two screens.

It's always the best way to spend
money you wish you never had to earn
nights you
wish you could remember

whiskey breath
you know you'll probably forget

those things you had to do
they can wait
anyway.

Everything fades.
the day
the faces

and you're thankful
for shoe string fries
and other small mercies

(the fact you can never remember
small mercies)

One drink to remember
two to forget
three
and that's when it starts to get fun
let's see if we can find the next thing
you'll eventually
wish had never begun.

Slouched over a fork full of
shoe string fries

and small mercies

and the whiskey the barman
promised
would be smooth and smokey
it's a small mercy there are only
meters to shuffle
in shoes that don't match

yep,
small mercies
it's wednesday and we're
more than half way there

so cheer up

drink up

shuffle on home and be thankful
that at least there are an abundance
of

small

mercies.

No comments:

Post a Comment