Thursday, January 12, 2012

The Romantics That Pass This Way

Making mountains out of mole hills
is one of my many talents

I like to give them a few simple chords
and a chorus
and call them songs

blowing everything out of proportion
til I'm out of breath

then, I inhale
and push the notes out again
til I'm empty

of air
of thoughts
of mole hills.

What I'd really like, though,
is a mountain of my very own

piercing cloud cover,
advancing towards a silver moon.
it's dizzying up there, at that altitude
I'm sure of it
thin air a mind altering drug

I'm light headed at the very thought of it.

I've caught planes
to climb those heights
built up muscles to tackle the steep inclines
cocooned and dreaming
of leaving
the sea level horizon behind.

Tomorrow, by midday
I'm sure I'll be siting somewhere in a cafe
contemplating my fate
as spelt out by a man in 1968

by midnight I'll be slurring something about mountains

wondering how long the romantics
that pass this way
will have to wait.



1 comment:

  1. Cat I REALLY LOVE THIS POEM. See you today I think maybe.

    ReplyDelete